Fire guts shed

Fire gutted the property''s shed.

By Brendan Rees

A residential shed in Clyde has been gutted by fire on Monday morning 10 August.

Fire crews were called to a property at Ballarto Road shortly after 7am, to reports of a smoke issuing from a shed.

Firefighters in breathing apparatus tackled the blaze, which was brought under control within 12 minutes.

A CFA spokesperson said it is believed the fire started in the wall cavity above a wood heater resulting in limited damage to the wall and roof.

Clyde CFA spokesman Ian Earle said the shed was well alight by the time crews arrived in foggy conditions.

Mr Earle said flames had ran up the wall after a pot-belly stove heater ignited nearby plaster boards.He said the metal shed was still standing but had been gutted inside.Luckily the fire did not spread to the home at the property where two adults and a child were present.

Clyde CFA crews also made use of their new thermal imaging camera that can detect hot spots.

Two fire trucks from Clyde and Cranbourne fire brigades responded to the blaze and remained on scene until 8am.Meanwhile, Bass MP Jordan Crugnale has urged households in Casey and Cardinia to protect themselves from carbon monoxide poisoning by getting their open flued gas heaters serviced by a licensed gasfitter.

Carbon monoxide poisoning can cause long term chronic health issues. It can also kill. Tragically, in 2017, Greensborough grandmother Sonia Sofianopoulos died of carbon monoxide poisoning in her home.

In 2010, two young brothers, Chase and Tyler Robinson were also killed by carbon monoxide in regional Victoria.

“Since the tragic deaths of the Robinson boys, Energy Safe Victoria has run a state-wide awareness campaign, calling on Victorians to get their gas heaters serviced at least once every two years,” Ms Crugnale said.

“Servicing must be carried out by a licensed gasfitter, one endorsed in Type A appliance servicing work.

“Given that many people are at home, it’s important that you don’t try to service yourself. Gasfitters carry out an essential service and are permitted to carry out domestic work. They can attend at your home to service your gas heater.”

Other simple steps that will reduce the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning include:

• Never leave your heater on overnight or for long period

• Make sure there is fresh air flowing through the room when your heater is on

• Never run exhaust fans such as the kitchen range hood or the bathroom fan at the same time as the

heater

• Never bring outdoor heaters inside for use in your home.

 

Your first stop before buying a home. View the whole picture.