BERWICK STAR NEWS
Home » IBAC defends witness welfare record

IBAC defends witness welfare record

IBAC Commissioner Robert Redlich has hit back at “much misinformation” being spread about witness welfare at the anti-corruption body’s inquiries.

Mr Redlich told a Parliamentary inquiry on 9 May that any suggestion that IBAC had failed to address any known witness welfare issue was “simply wrong”.

“I do not have an example of where matters came to the attention of the Commission which ought to have led to a particular witness being treated in a more sympathetic and compassionate way.”

The inquiry was launched after the death of former Casey mayor Amanda Stapledon, who had been publicly grilled during IBAC’s Operation Sandon inquiry in early 2020.

She died days after reportedly receiving a draft Operation Sandon report, which investigated dealings involving Casey councillors, Labor MPs and property developers.

It sparked an outcry against IBAC’s conduct from Ms Stapledon’s friends and supporters.

Ms Stapledon’s specific case was ruled out of bounds by inquiry chair and Labor MP Harriet Shing, who repeatedly warned the inquiry could not “prejudice” ongoing inquiries.

This was despite Mr Redlich saying he was “anxious” to explore the issue.

When asked if IBAC took any responsibility for witnesses committing suicide, Mr Redlich said he was keen to show that the case being referred to “should give the committee no cause for concern”.

He knew of “no circumstance” in which a witness with known mental health issues, including suicidal ideation, was not protected, he said.

Every witness, prior to public examination, is first assessed as to whether they would suffer “unreasonable damage” to their reputation and wellbeing, he told the inquiry.

“Precedence” was given to witness welfare over IBAC’s “statutory obligation”.

Mr Redlich said in both Operation Sandon and Operation Watts – which is investigating alleged ALP branch-stacking – there were “persons of interest” with “highly relevant evidence” who were examined in private.

The public examination of a “critical” “person of interest” in an ongoing inquiry was held off for nine months due to the witness’s “medical state”, he said.

Ms Shing shut down the inquiry’s video feed when Liberal MP Kim Wells raised Premier Daniel Andrews’s reportedly being questioned by IBAC in private.

Mr Wells attempted to ask Mr Redlich if it was in order to protect Mr Andrews’s reputation.

Earlier during the hearing, Mr Redlich said there was a “profound misunderstanding” in the public domain that IBAC could act like a Royal Commission.

But the IBAC Act was quite “prescriptive and different”, he said.

According to the Act, examinations are to be generally held in private.

Inquiries are only held in public if IBAC is reasonably satisfied of all of the following criteria:

· That there are exceptional circumstances.

· It’s in the public interest.

· That there won’t be “unreasonable damage” to a witness’s reputation, safety or wellbeing.

· That there is serious corrupt conduct or police misconduct.

Mr Redlich said witnesses were examined in private if one or more of the mandatory criteria couldn’t be satisfied.

He said he doubted the validity of the “exceptional circumstances” requirement, but backed the unreasonable damage provision as “beneficial to all concerned”.

Digital Editions


  • New Library Lounge opens in Clyde

    New Library Lounge opens in Clyde

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534227 The Clyde Township Community Centre is now home to a new Library Lounge, providing residents in Clyde and…

More News

  • Upper Beaconsfield festival returns

    Upper Beaconsfield festival returns

    Upper Beaconsfield Tower Run: Climbing New Heights Upper Beaconsfield will come alive on Sunday the 15th of February when the community hosts the annual Upper Beaconsfield Tower Run and Village…

  • New Blokes Bible launched to support men’s mental health

    New Blokes Bible launched to support men’s mental health

    Long time Berwick resident Gregory Nanfra and David Cossigny are just two everyday blokes who met by chance on a backpacking trip in South America only to find out they…

  • Teen pedestrian critically injured in Narre Warren South

    Teen pedestrian critically injured in Narre Warren South

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534667 A 16-year-old boy was fighting for life after being struck by a car on Pound Road, Narre Warren South on Friday 13 February.…

  • Weekend of colour

    Weekend of colour

    It was a colourful weekend for more than 100 community members who attended the council’s annual rainbow picnic. Held at Berwick’s Old Cheese Factory on Saturday 7 February, over 120…

  • Cranbourne commuters question train reliability

    Cranbourne commuters question train reliability

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532942 Performance data shows the Cranbourne Line has broadly tracked close to Melbourne’s network-wide averages for reliability in recent years, but commuters say delays,…