BERWICK STAR NEWS
Home » Bail refused for repeat gun offender

Bail refused for repeat gun offender

A man has been refused bail after police allegedly seized three firearms from his bedroom in the vicinity of a non-fatal shooting in Narre Warren.

Dillon Kelly, who was arrested during a police raid on the Shrives Road house on 31 July, was unable to prove exceptional circumstances for his bail at a hearing at Dandenong Magistrates’ Court on 13 August.

Kelly had provided an alibi that exonerated him from the shooting, police told the court.

On 31 July, a male gunshot victim drove himself to Casey Hospital with a chest wound – the bullet puncturing both lungs and lodging 2 centimetres below his heart, a court heard.

He had earlier made a triple-0 call in the vicinity of Kelly’s home – which was raided by police later that day.

The victim has so far refused to make a statement to police about the shooting.

Police allege they seized two sawn-off shotguns from a wardrobe and a loaded revolver from a male motorcycling jacket in Kelly’s bedroom. He’d told police he’d been riding a motorbike earlier that day.

Ammunition was also found in the bedroom’s safe – for which Kelly provided police with the passcode.

A female housemate was charged and bailed over a commercial quantity of ice (190 grams) being found in another bedroom in the house.

Two other housemates have not been charged.

Kelly was charged with possessing a traffickable quantity of firearms as well as being a prohibited person in possession of firearms.

At the time, he was otherwise complying with two community corrections orders for similar weapons offences including possession of an explosive substance and a firearm, the court heard.

Police told the court that Kelly regularly carried weapons. He’d been charged with weapon offences four times in 2017 and 2018, and been convicted of breaching bail.

Police argued Kelly’s submitted address with a family of young children in Pakenham as “absolutely not appropriate”.

Kelly’s lawyer said that the case was a circumstantial case with “a lot of question marks”, given four resided at the house, the safe code was known by everyone in the house, and Kelly had lived at the address for less than three weeks.

Police ballistics had yet to analyse the guns, and the shooting victim wasn’t cooperating with the investigation, the lawyer said.

Magistrate Tara Hartnett said she didn’t “necessarily agree” that the prosecution case was not strong.

She noted Kelly’s “fairly significant” criminal history including firearm matters as a “grave concern”.

In refusing bail, Ms Hartnett said she found Kelly was an unacceptable risk of reoffending.

Kelly was remanded for a contest mention at Dandenong Magistrates’ Court on 16 September.

 

Digital Editions


  • New Library Lounge opens in Clyde

    New Library Lounge opens in Clyde

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534227 The Clyde Township Community Centre is now home to a new Library Lounge, providing residents in Clyde and…

More News

  • Upper Beaconsfield festival returns

    Upper Beaconsfield festival returns

    Upper Beaconsfield Tower Run: Climbing New Heights Upper Beaconsfield will come alive on Sunday the 15th of February when the community hosts the annual Upper Beaconsfield Tower Run and Village…

  • New Blokes Bible launched to support men’s mental health

    New Blokes Bible launched to support men’s mental health

    Long time Berwick resident Gregory Nanfra and David Cossigny are just two everyday blokes who met by chance on a backpacking trip in South America only to find out they…

  • Teen pedestrian critically injured in Narre Warren South

    Teen pedestrian critically injured in Narre Warren South

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534667 A 16-year-old boy was fighting for life after being struck by a car on Pound Road, Narre Warren South on Friday 13 February.…

  • Weekend of colour

    Weekend of colour

    It was a colourful weekend for more than 100 community members who attended the council’s annual rainbow picnic. Held at Berwick’s Old Cheese Factory on Saturday 7 February, over 120…

  • Cranbourne commuters question train reliability

    Cranbourne commuters question train reliability

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532942 Performance data shows the Cranbourne Line has broadly tracked close to Melbourne’s network-wide averages for reliability in recent years, but commuters say delays,…