.

By Cam Lucadou-Wells

A developer has written to assure Berwick residents that a recent dust storm from its construction site was free from asbestos.
Moremac Property Group project director Martin Gaedke stated in a letter to residents adjoining the Alira estate that the dust was the result of tree clearing and mulching of trees.
“We are aware that there have been some concerns in respect to dust nuisance.
“We want to assure you that no materials other than the trees removed have passed through the mulcher.”
Mr Gaedke stated there were “small amounts” of asbestos-containing material detected in “various parts” of the Alira site.
It was found in fibre cement sheeting of former buildings and in illegally dumped building waste.
He wrote that the sites would be cleared, and any asbestos containing material would be carefully removed in accordance with Environment Protection Authority and WorkSafe regulations.
The EPA, WorkSafe and Casey officers inspected the contentious site on Ward Road on 22 February after residents complained in late January.
EPA southern metro manager Marleen Mathias has stated that it rated the risk to the community as low, and would monitor works at the site.
Casey Council manager community safety Caroline Bell, in a letter to residents, stated the EPA was satisfied with asbestos removal works to date.
Ms Bell stated the EPA would issue a Provisional Improvement Notice to the principal contractor to “formalise the works”.
Resident, husband and father Mark Weaven was sceptical whether the dust could be guaranteed as asbestos-free, especially after finding a positively-tested asbestos sample in his backyard during the works.
Mr Weaven said rubble on the site had been levelled during the works and could have been dispersed “everywhere”.
“And they’re trying to tell us none went through the mulcher?”
Mr Weaven said authorities had used letter-drops to “cover their arses” and “put it to bed as quickly as possible”, but hadn’t spoken to residents.
“They haven’t reviewed any of our evidence or contacted us personally – just sent out a blanket letter.
“They just want it to go away.”

More News

A Narre Warren South woman will be walking 200 kilometres over 10 days to raise money for research into all different types ...

A commuter says she’s been driven away from taking the train to work due to a car-parking shortage at ...

WorkSafe has ordered a stop put to asbestos removal on the proposed Alira residential estate in Berwick as it investigates ...

A Narre Warren South resident is shocked by NBN Co plans to install a large National Broadband Network node cabinet ...

Casey mayor Sam Aziz has denied complaints by a Ratepayers Victoria vice-president that he was “rude and aggressive” during a ...

An inaugural ‘March Madness’ tournament between 70 young South Sudanese basketballers left nothing on the 24/7 HOOPS court at Dandenong on 25 March. ...

Latest Sport

DDCA TURF 1 GRAND FINAL PREVIEW HEINZ-SOUTHERN DISTRICTS v MORDIALLOC WHEN and WHERE: 25 and 26 March, Arch Brown Reserve, Berwick It was ...

DDCA TWENTY20 GRAND FINAL PREVIEW BUCKLEY RIDGES v CRANBOURNE WHEN: Wednesday 22 February, 5.15pm. WHERE: Park Oval, Dandenong. In one of ...

AFL WOMEN’S LEAGUE REVIEW – ROUND 2 Melbourne has recorded their first AFLW victory, comfortably knocking off a disappointing Collingwood side ...